Review: Temporary Partner by Nicky James (Valor and Doyle #1)

Temporary Partner Temporary Partner by Nicky James
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Excellent start to this series! Or continuation, if you read the prequel.....which you should! I know it says optional, but I think it made reading this a lot better. It introduces the characters and their dynamics - which are well developed here - and you get the background for the events discussed in this book. Also its fun.

Anyway. I really enjoyed this book! I couldn't put it down - such tightly written tension on all fronts!! I'm a total dingdong for crime solving, and this was perfect for me. I had no idea who could be the culprit, and I got to suspect literally everyone ever. Except the MC, that one takes serious chops to pull off. But anyway. Loved the crime mystery!! (this is a strong positive, i love not knowing what's going on and just like to keep pace with the MCs as they solve it. if i can solve the mystery, its a very bad sign)

The chemistry between these two was pretty good as well. Explosive encounters after a lot of build up, which worked super well with their personalities. This did focus a lot more on Quaid and his ex, though Aslan had his own personal arcs as well. I've already started the second one, which seems to be more Aslan-focused, so I'm liking the balance.

My issues though, that kept this from being a 5 star...was Aslan. He was just too frat-broish. Just too much sleaze and innuendo and flat out propositions. Luckily it did get toned down a bit, but it did really grate. I'm hoping with his personal growth arc and history it'll continue to be addressed.

Overall, this was a fantastic read! I immediately started the second - that overarching plot line is intriguing...plus seeing these two grow independently and together is gonna be so good.


View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Erratic's Christmas Romance Book Round-Up 2023 Edition

Interview With Rachel Reid - Famous Author of TIME TO SHINE

Interview with Rachel Reid, author of Heated Rivalry and The Long Game