ARC Review: Imitate the Dawn by MA Grant (Whitethorne Agency #3)

 

Expected publication: September 13 2022

erratic's review: 4 of 5 stars

Another action-packed book and a fitting conclusion. This book picks right up where book 2 left off so definitely read these in order and probably back to back too. The intensity is high the entire time with this one and there are a lot of reveals and characters and callbacks from the previous two books.

The romance between Christian and Atlas seemed to take a step back and then propel really far forward in the space of a few chapters and their relationship could have used some more space to breathe in between the relentless action. And similar to book 2, some things were glossed over a bit too much and needed more explanation in the narrative - particularly what was going on between Christian and Atlas and their scheming.

The ending of the book was very interesting. A fresh take on the vampire lore and I appreciate when books try new things out. And of course the ending between Christian and Atlas was very sweet.

And with this we conclude the Whitethorn Agency trilogy. Overall, I enjoyed the books a lot. They were a nice and gritty take on the vampire genre without being too dramatique. Lots of action, lots of twists and turns, and some romance to top it all off. Solid 4 out of 5 stars for the series.

the kevin's review: 4 of 5 stars

A high paced excellent finish to the trilogy! This book picks up right where the second left off, and we continue into the relentless tension and reveals of this story right to the end.

It was fun to see all the pieces from the first and second books tied together in this one, with even more bonus conspiracy and reveals.

As always, the action scenes are impeccable - high tension, easy to follow but still high stakes as well. Plus, I really appreciated the carefully done overlap in some of them, I'm not sure I've seen that before (but I have definitely wanted to read it that way before!) so that was very neat.

Some small criticisms -

As I've said before, this book has a tendency to gloss over details which makes me feel like I've missed a page or something at times. More explanation and some low level exposition in internal thoughts would smooth this out, and help guide the reader through. I had trouble remembering all of the people and places that had come from the first book, but I eventually got there.

The romance never felt quite as deep as it was indicated - I just....never quite felt that depth. It was a nice relationship and I liked their chemistry, but all consuming romance I did not quite feel.

I had some thoughts on one element, but they're a bit of a major spoiler, so you can find them in my goodreads review if you're curious! It's linked above.

Overall, this was a fitting finish to a very enjoyable paranormal mystery series! The romance was sweet and I enjoyed seeing the leads work together. I did find the ending creative and unique, which I liked a lot. A very fun vampire series!


We received ARC copies of this book from Netgalley in exchange for our honest reviews. All opinions are our own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Erratic's Christmas Romance Book Round-Up 2023 Edition

Interview With Rachel Reid - Famous Author of TIME TO SHINE

Interview with Rachel Reid, author of Heated Rivalry and The Long Game