Review: The Barony Bet by Kai Butler (Imperial Space Regency #2)

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Horse rating: 0 of 5 horses

I'm a sucker for pining/unrequited best friends to lovers, so I had to try this. Plus a fake relationship. Catnip!

Unfortunately this still felt shallow to me. I never quite felt all the pining/emotions that Asta had for Deva, and the turnaround/realization Deva had was too simple for me. Or too easy? Not enough emotion!! More feels!!! That's what I'm after with this trope combo. There were a few times it got close but overall, not really.

This had a slow start, setting up a lot of the world and character background, and only really got started at around 30%. The writing I thought was a little awkward as well, I think in its attempts to maintain a historical sort of feel it ended up being stilted.

Overall, it was an enjoyable read, fairly surface but neither great nor terrible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Erratic's Christmas Romance Book Round-Up 2023 Edition

Interview With Rachel Reid - Famous Author of TIME TO SHINE

Interview with Rachel Reid, author of Heated Rivalry and The Long Game