the kevin's Weekly Roundup: June 18 - June 24

the weekly chaos. Bingo continues.


Read

Omega Bloodlines by Kaia Pierce - Royal Alphas 1 Kindle Unlimited 3/5

Unintentionally hilarious word choices. Otherwise it’s a forgettable surface omega-shifterverse.

A Taste of Gold and Iron by Alexandra Rowland ARC 2/5

I really wanted to like this, I thought it would be an amazing fit for me - fantasy, intrigue, mystery, gay…sounded so perfect! It wasn’t. It was missing on all counts honestly, I don’t feel like retyping my review but it was such a disappointment. I hope it works for other people at least.

Blue Storm by Adara Wolf Kindle Unlimited 5/5

an MMm story (capitalization deliberate), Adara can get me to read pretty much anything. This was emotionally destructive, I am still recovering from the oofowie two days later. Probably the most emotionally brutal HEA ever.

A Poet, A Prince by Adara Wolf - Saga of the City by the Flowers 0.5 4/5

A prequel to a series I haven’t read yet. Fun characters, nicely ominous, looking forward to the zero percent HEA suffering in the series.

Ugly by Roe Horvat - Winter Sun 1 Kindle Unlimited 1/5

I cannot even explain how much I hated this book. I think some of it was my expectations being way off. I was warned it would be “too sappy” for me, which would be a fair warning, except I found it unemotional despite its attempts to beat me over the head with horny. Such repetitive writing that never advanced anything. Couldn’t buy into the alleged connection between the MCs because it was all dick powered. Plus the weirdest side plot with the cook? What

Anyway. DNR list.

Like Silk Breathing by Camille Duplessis ARC 4/5

This was not what I’d expected based on the blurb, but I ended up liking it a lot anyway. My expectation was a more standard alt-historical paranormal romance (selkie!) and I got more of a personal dynamic mental health depression (waaayy too relatable omg 100% dead on) story which I ended up liking probably more than I would have a boilerplate paranormal story.

Dancing in Darkness by Alice Winters Kindle Unlimited 1/5

I read this for the bingo - give an author a second chance and deeply regret your life choices. Boy, do I ever regret it.

The Runaway by Laura Taylor - Lost and Found 2 Kindle Unlimited 4/5

The second in the series, I enjoyed the first book a lot (I wouldn’t recommend reading this as a standalone), this one goes more into the alt-historical dystopian omega verse problems and politics. I think I liked the first book more, but this was still very enjoyable.

Ruled by TM Chris Kindle Unlimited 4.5/5

This was hilarious. And adorable.

Tribute by Lisa Henry Kindle Unlimited 3/5

First, there’s on page MF in here (depending which edition you’re looking at, it may or may not be in the content warnings). Second, this fell flat as a stockholm/captive-slave dynamic. Most of the mindbreak work was done by instahorny potion in the earliest pages, which…boring. The end was kind of dumb. Not bad but definitely a disappointment.

His First Family by Victoria Sue - His First 2 Kindle Unlimited 3/5

good, interesting start, and then we spend the rest of the book not communicating in a hospital room. ….boring.

Trench Warfare by Fiona Glass Kindle Unlimited 3.5/5

A cute novella, archeological dig, some small ghost energy…dual unrequited pining…it was sweet.

Deus Ex Mechanic by Ryann Fletcher - The Cricket Chronicles 1 3/5

NOT MM. This is lesbian steampunk space pirates lol. How could I resist. Anyway, this has First Book energy, where the author has a well planned plot and events but couldn’t quite pull it off with the depth of the writing. But! I’m willing to bet they’ll improve and I’ll try later books. I think they might be standalone but I’ll find out later. Also - boiler powered spaceships? I love the total disregard of physics and normie sci-fi demands. Vibes only.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Erratic's Christmas Romance Book Round-Up 2023 Edition

Interview With Rachel Reid - Famous Author of TIME TO SHINE

Interview with Rachel Reid, author of Heated Rivalry and The Long Game