Review: Brother by Marina Vivancos

 

Brother

  Brother by Marina Vivancos

 

 Erratic's review: 5 stars

What a beautifully emotional little book. The longing these two had for each other came through on every page. There is a certain feeling the summer between college years gives where you're an adult but still growing and the tangle of the past, family, new friends, and new experiences all come together. The vibe of long hot days spent by the water. Somehow this short book about incest between twin brothers captured summer perfectly. Even the length of the book worked since it was as fleeting as one of those college summers. I loved it 5 stars rounded down.

 

the kevins review: 3 stars 

 Vivancos can pack a lot of emotion into a small package, but even then, there's a limit. This one is just too short to pull it off. Every time I was just getting pulled into a scene, into the emotions, it would end or change. They were always just a bit short of complete and it was intensely frustrating.

This did have some very emotional moments - I loved the hotel scene! I wish more of the story had been like that, all those intense emotions and angst and feels. It just needs more time to breathe.

The story felt like it was picking up speed as I read along, getting rushed at the end. It lost its impact because of that. I think their relationship was supposed to have this-was-inevitable vibes, but I never quite felt that. The possessive you-belong-only-to-me attitude is great, I love it, but it just didn't quite work for me here...because again, this was too short to develop the base for that. Instead of communicating the deep need, years of pent up emotions, and angst between them, and the possessiveness being doubled by the twin bond, it just felt a little demanding. Not very different from a non-twin pairing. So close.

The end I found quite abrupt as well. Their connection, once they came together, felt a little glossed over.

Overall, this was almost amazing. I don't know why it was so short. A little bit more time to make the scenes complete and it could have been a 5 star. I know Vivancos can do the emotions, there's evidence of that here even, but you still need page time to build that angst in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Erratic's Christmas Romance Book Round-Up 2023 Edition

Interview With Rachel Reid - Famous Author of TIME TO SHINE

Interview with Rachel Reid, author of Heated Rivalry and The Long Game