ARC Review: The Long Game by Rachel Reid

 


Expected publication: April 26th, 2022

Ellie's review: 5 stars

"I woke up,” Ilya said simply. “And you were meditating with your dick in your hand.”

This isn’t an easy review to write. It shouldn’t be too spoilery though. I felt so many emotions when reading this book. I remember the author once describing TLG as Ilya’s book, and it really is. He is a beautiful character, and you really feel for him in this. Honestly, reading some of the other reviews made me so nervous about Shane’s behavior towards Ilya. In the end, sure, Shane is a bit self-centered and you will get frustrated by him, but everything he does makes sense for his character and the context of everything makes it very forgivable, imo. His love for Ilya is never in doubt and redeems him.

So yeah, this is an emotional book. The pacing is great, though, so the angst doesn’t hit you in the face all at once in the second half of the book (like it sometimes does in other novels). It is rather well distributed in the story, without ever feeling unnecessary. The emotional highs and lows flow very well. Even in the most painful moments, Rachel Reid writes in a way that never gets too sappy, but rather chooses these little sentences that end up staying in my mind for a while after. I thought this very grounded way to write was a little dry or stilted by moments in HR, but I didn’t think it was the case at all in this.

Don’t get me wrong though, ultimately, the emotional highs make everything worth it. There are so many funny, swoony and sweet moments, some great secondary character appearance, one super fun hockey scene, and so many romantic quotes. The sex scenes are even hotter than in Heated Rivalry, and honestly, more varied. I drive past Pont Champlain everyday and I think of those texts every time I do now.

I have some little things I could nitpick on, but ultimately, I just love those dumb hockey players so much. I feel like this is a long review that doesn’t really say anything new, except maybe to just ~trust the process~ and not be too nervous about the angst mentioned in every reviews. Remember: they're hot and rich and they love each other and everything works out in the end.

the kevin's review: 5 stars

Sequel books can be a challenge to pull off, especially for books as great as Heated Rivalry. I’m more than happy to say The Long Game has done it. In fact, in some ways it even surpassed Heated Rivalry in sheer feels.

I’m not going to get too much into detail, as this is best experienced blind. I loved seeing Ilya and Shane struggle together and come together even more, despite all the hurdles in their way. The personal growth both go through. Amazingly emotional. All the tiny moments that form between people who have been in love for so long (a decade!!). Exceptionally steamy.

This book hangover is going to last forever. How can anything follow this up?

“Yes. Was probably true. I look at you and I am just…” Ilya opened and closed his fist several times in front of his chest. “My heart goes crazy, you know?”


The Long Game on Amazon




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Erratic's Christmas Romance Book Round-Up 2023 Edition

Interview With Rachel Reid - Famous Author of TIME TO SHINE

Interview with Rachel Reid, author of Heated Rivalry and The Long Game